Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Poetry, please

I've been back writing - and performing - some poetry at the Poetry Cafe, Betterton Street, London, and here's an example,

Our web based life.

Do you blog? Do you?
Is your life a list
Of bits
Or bytes
Are you jpeg, gif,
Or maybe photoshop compliant.
My life, myspace, my U.R.L.
I surf, without getting wet
Though I do get board.
And my head
In some sub-set
A well
A host of alien annihilation
Soldier slaying
Shaman sleuthing
Stealth em-ups
I’ve left behind the life
Of control-alt-delete
I’ve switched OS
And have been virus-less
Even wireless
Since 1984.
I’ve seen, with green, LED’s
That Armageddon glow
Of dusty, super cooled
Deep blue, processors

In the dim glow of a monitor
I follow a golden thread
Through this online world
And find my way
Not to freedom
But to a minotaur
That bull headed man
Who cuts my thread
With either a sickle or a scimitar
Whichever,
It leaves me dangling
While my service provider
Tries to remember
My seven digit password
Both characters and numbers
This security protocol
The keys and the packets
State of the art,
Encryption and ciphers
It’s done me no good
This keychain of secrets
Virtual paperclips
Dot docs dot exe
It doesn’t really bother me
This lack of PGP
Any level of privacy
It bothers me not one bit (or byte)
Not one jot

I was there when
Kasperov failed
When humanity died
And the water cooled processor
Checkmated our lives.

But more importantly
My g-mail account
Kept me alerted
With always on push technology
My fruit based PDA
Always by me,
It’s comfortable vibrate function
Quietly compelling me
To a technological orgasm.
This life of bits
This life of bytes
I am a binary hero
One, one, one, zero, one zero

1 comment:

Lyman said...

That's great Dom, I dig it. It needs a bassline though ...