Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Lead Baloon

I read again tonight at the unplugged poetry night - and was so unprepared. Last night I wrote a draft of a poem about Batman, and read that. I've promised myself that I'll write one new thing for every week that I go to the unplugged night, but usually I have a bit more time to edit and redraft a poem, this one was too rushed. I also had speech balloons, which I drew myself, with a felt tip pen, ten minutes before the event started - another big mistake, but hey, I think the idea works, the execution needs working on.

The draft of the poem is about 80 lines, I need to get it down to 30, also I need to get some meter and rhyme in there too. What i'm trying to say with the poem is that cartoon violence has vicious consequences.

I'm a big fan of my super-hero comic books, and as such have found it very difficult to write about a subject I really care for, as much as I'm willing to put my heart and soul on the page, or read out some shameful secret of mine, I daren't make a bad move around Batman!!

Also been reading other peoples comments about my performances on their myspace pages, pleased that people are talking about me, but wish they had something better to say. What I've learned is it's time to change my repertoire at poetry nights!

No comments: